Truck accidents can leave victims with severe injuries. Even a seemingly minor impact involving an 18-wheeler truck can be catastrophic.
If the truck driver was responsible for your injuries, you could have the legal right to bring a claim for damages. Pursuing a personal injury claim can be complex.
You need a skilled New Jersey truck accident lawyer to help you navigate the claims process.
Compensation in a Truck Accident Claim in New Jersey
Your compensation in a truck accident claim will vary based on individual circumstances.
Recoverable damages might include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost earnings and benefits to date
- Future loss of earning capacity
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Your truck accident lawyer in New Jersey will review all your medical records, employment records, and other losses to see if you’re entitled to additional compensation.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in New Jersey
Accidents involving large trucks can happen for any number of reasons.
However, some causes are more common than others. Driver fatigue is a leading cause of accidents involving large trucks.
Some trucking companies push their drivers to exceed the maximum allotted hours, resulting in fatigued drivers on New Jersey streets and highways.
Other potential causes of a truck accident include:
- Violating traffic regulations, such as speeding or running red light
- Distracted driving, including texting, looking at GPS, and eating
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Unsecured load or overloaded truck
- Following too closely or tailgating; and
- Negligent maintenance or truck defect
It’s not uncommon for multiple factors to play a role in semi-truck accidents.
For example, the other driver might be speeding with an overloaded truck. When they go to stop, the truck driver loses control, and the truck jackknifes.
What to Do Following a Truck Accident in New Jersey
The steps you take following a truck accident are vital as they can impact your injury claim.
If you’re in an accident, remember these necessary steps:
- Contact the police to report the accident
- Get all contact information for involved parties, including any witnesses who stopped for the accident
- Take photos of the scene, including damage to all vehicles, skid marks, and debris
- Seek medical treatment if you are not transported to the hospital
- Report the accident to your insurance
- Contact a New Jersey semi-truck accident lawyer
Start a pain journal. We highly recommend keeping track of how the accident changed your life and how your injuries impact your ability to take care of yourself.
Responsible Parties in a Truck Accident Claim
Before you can collect any money, you must identify everyone liable for your injuries. Determining all responsible parties in a truck accident claim could be challenging in some situations.
Possible defendants include:
- The truck driver
- The truck owner
- The trucking company
- Cargo loaders
- Truck manufacturers
When you hire a New Jersey semi-truck accident lawyer at Wiley Lavender Maknoor, we will help you identify all responsible parties.
Contact a New Jersey Truck Accident Lawyer
If you are searching for a semi-truck lawyer in New Jersey, contact Wiley Lavender Maknoor.
We have assisted thousands of injured victims in getting the compensation they deserve. Don’t settle for just any accident lawyer.
New Jersey truck accident cases are complex and require experienced legal representation. You need a lawyer with the skills and knowledge to fight for you.
We aren’t afraid to stand up to these trucking companies or take your case to trial if necessary. Contact us today to schedule an initial consultation to learn more about how we can assist you.